Christ Church, Hulland
This early-Victorian parish church, standing on its elevated site, was built in 1837 from locally-quarried sandstone. It was consecrated in August of the following year by the Bishop of Lichfield, in whose diocese Christ Church originally resided. In 1927 Hulland parish became part of the new Diocese of Derby. The parish includes the villages of Hulland Ward, Hulland and Biggin.
Hulland is part of a United Benefice which includes the parishes of Atlow, Bradley, Hognaston and Kniveton.
A Brief History
Of modest size today, the original church was smaller, rectangular in shape with its existing single central aisle flanked by box pews. An unusual feature in an Anglican church is the gallery, which stands on cast-iron columns at the western end, giving the interior a slightly Non-conformist look. Later additions are the vestry built in 1870, the chancel added in 1961, and a vestry enlargement giving kitchen and toilet facilities completed in 1995
Major benefactors of Christ Church have been the Borough family, local landowners. In 1837 the land on which the church stands and the surrounding church yard were given by Thomas Borough, son of John Tempest Borough, the builder of nearby Hulland Hall. The chancel, taking a year to build and costing nearly £4000, was donated by brothers Mr Reginald Borough, then of Market Lavenham in Wiltshire and Canon Roland Borough, former Vicar of Bradbourne.
The two beautiful stained glass windows in the chancel were erected by J C B Borough in 1853 in memory of his mother and 1863 in memory of his sister. Both windows were moved to the new chancel in1961. The East window depicts Christ with Lazarus, Martha and Mary; the South-east window represents Faith and Hope.
The large and ornate octagonal marble font with carvings on each of its sides was presented to Hulland in 1919 by the Vicar and Churchwardens of its namesake, Christ Church Sunderland.
An iron moulding of ‘The Last Supper’ made by the Coalbrookdale Company in 1851 hangs on the wall near the font.
The oak baluster-type communion rail was installed to mark the centenary of the church in 1938, as were the two mural tables of the Ten Commandments in gold lettering fixed either side of the east window.
Near the piano is a stone plaque in memory of those who gave their lives in the Second World War. (The First World War memorial is in the churchyard near the gate).
A wooden hatchment bearing the Borough arms hangs on the north wall of the chancel. It was painted in memory of the church’s benefactor, Thomas Borough who died in 1838. It is believed to have hung in church from around the time the church was consecrated.
Hatchments are large diamond shaped heraldic paintings. They emerged in the seventeenth century from the earlier medieval practice of erecting the shield and other military accoutrements over the tomb of military knight. Hatchments were hung over the door of the country house of the deceased for 12 months to inform visiting gentry.
The hatchment has recently spent several months away from the church being restored. It has now been returned looking much improved and is now hanging in its original position in the chancel.
|Tue Oct 17 @12:00PM - 12:30PM|
Mid Day Med
|Wed Oct 18 @ 7:00PM - 08:30PM|
|Wed Oct 18 @ 7:30PM - 09:00PM|
|Sat Oct 21 @12:00PM - 01:00PM|
Thanksgiving service for Mr Juliusz Milewski, followed by burial of ashes
|Mon Oct 23 @ 2:00PM - 03:00PM|
Funeral of Jennifer Radford
|Tue Oct 24 @10:00AM - 12:00PM|
|Wed Nov 01 @ 7:00PM - 08:30PM|
|Wed Nov 01 @ 7:30PM - 09:00PM|
|Tue Nov 07 @ 7:00PM - 08:30PM|
|Wed Nov 08 @10:15AM - 11:15AM|
Hulland Home Communion
|Wed Nov 08 @ 7:30PM - 09:00PM|
|Sat Nov 11 @10:00AM - 12:00PM|
Hognaston Church Coffee Morning
|Wed Nov 15 @ 7:30PM - 09:00PM|
|Tue Nov 21 @12:00PM - 12:30PM|
Mid Day Med
|Wed Nov 29 @ 7:30PM - 09:00PM|